Founder & CEO of MPN Cancer Connection and PV Reporter | Patient Advocate
When David was diagnosed with PV in 2009, at the age of 47, he soon learned there was limited and often conflicting information available on Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (MPNs). He also realized early on in his diagnosis, the importance of advocating for himself to best manage his polycythemia vera (PV). David was grateful for the early support and guidance of fellow MPN patients on his journey and wanted a way to give back to the MPN community. With a professional background in business administration and sociology, David has a passion for finding solutions and helping others.
In 2013, David used his skill set to create PV Reporter, a comprehensive patient-focused website for MPNs. David refers to his site as a hub for patients to begin to research their cancer. Whether a patient, caregiver or healthcare provider, PV Reporter offers visitors a wealth of educational resources, patient stories, articles, and the latest news on the treatment for MPNs, helping MPN patients and their caregivers stay informed, connected and empowered.
In 2015, David founded a non-profit MPN Cancer Connection (MPN-CC), a patient-led 501©3 formed to create awareness that MPN patients are “cancer patients” and should have complete access to local and national programs and benefits. David’s philosophy is to educate patients to become their own advocates so that they can make informed decisions on their treatment.
David’s dedication to the MPN community is further evidenced through his work and awards:
- Selected to endorse 2018 NCCN guidelines for MPN patients by MPN Cancer Connection
- Selected to represent the United States as a patient advocate by MPNs Advocate Network International Conference 2016-2021
- Recipient of MPN Hero Award 2016
- Published in MD Anderson Cancer Center MPN Focus Newsletter Fall 2016
- Appearance on “The Doctors” TV show in 2015 to promote MPN awareness
- Awarded Press Credentials for American Society of Hematology Conference 2014-2021
David lives in Charlotte, North Carolina. In his free time, David enjoys spending time with family, listening to live music, attending outdoor festivals, watching the Carolina Panthers, traveling and of course having his beloved Aussiedoodle, Bailey by his side.